Caraway is a relatively new company that makes ceramic nonstick cookware. Their pots and pans have become popular in recent years for several reasons. This article will provide an in-depth look at Caraway cookware including the history of the company, what sets it apart, detailed reviews of its best-selling products, comparisons to competitors, care and use guidelines, and recommendations for different types of home cooks.
An In-Depth Look at Caraway Cookware
Caraway is a direct-to-consumer cookware startup that has quickly made a name for itself with its ceramic nonstick pots and pans. Caraway differentiates itself through its use of safer, nontoxic materials, unique minimalist aesthetic, and convenient features like magnetic nesting lids.
In just a few years, Caraway has expanded beyond its popular frying pans to offer cookware sets and accessories that establish the brand as a one-stop shop. While priced higher than budget options, Caraway aims to compete with luxury names like Le Creuset and All-Clad.
Brief History of Caraway & Founders
Caraway was founded in 2017 by Jordan Nathan and Jake Kalick. The founders met while attending Columbia Business School and discovered a shared frustration with traditional nonstick pans that lose their coating over time.
They believed high-quality nonstick cookware could be made using safer materials to better stand up to daily use. So they set out to create their ceramic nonstick pans focused on convenience, versatility, and sustainability at an affordable price point compared to leading brands.
In 2019, Caraway launched on Kickstarter and far exceeded their funding goal – raising over $1 million to get their eco-friendly nonstick into kitchens everywhere. Now with headquarters in New York City, their cookware can be found at major retailers like Amazon, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s, and their website.
What Makes Caraway Cookware Different
Caraway sets themselves apart from traditional cookware brands in a few key ways:
Safer Nonstick Material
Their nonstick coating is made from minerals, sand, and natural binders applied to an aluminium core. This creates what they call a “ ceramic nonstick” that is free of controversial chemicals found in many nonstick. Caraway states their coating is durable, natural, and safe even at high temperatures.
Sleek & Minimalist Design
Their products feature a minimalist design with rounded edges, gently sloping sides, streamlined lids, and signature half-circle handles. The aesthetic is modern and contrasts with the colourful exteriors of mainstream brands. Their style reflects Caraway’s identity as a direct-to-consumer startup appealing to young chefs.
Each Caraway pan is designed with small touches focused on easy cooking and less hassle in the kitchen. Their nonstick allows for effortless food release – meaning less sticking, burning, and scrubbing. Other convenience factors include nesting lids that store together, scratch-resistant finishes, stainless steel bases, and handles designed not to get hot while cooking.
As a climate-friendly company, they focus on sustainability in their supply chain and manufacturing. Their nonstick coating is water-based which reduces chemical waste. Plus their aluminum is recycled and packaging is made from recycled materials. Caraway aims to be transparent about its process from sourcing to production.
In summary, Caraway stands out by making safer, high-performing nonstick cookware that has an appealing minimalist look and convenient functionality. Their environmentally responsible operations also attract today’s conscious consumers.
Detailed Product Reviews
Caraway offers three main product categories: cookware sets, individual pans called “Singles”, and accessories like bakeware trays and oven mittens. Here is an in-depth look at some of their best-selling items.
Their most popular offerings are the cookware sets that include a frying pan, saucepan, sauté pan with lid, and dutch oven plus a magnetic pan rack. The sets are available in several colours like grey, blue, yellow, pink, etc. Sets range from 10 1⁄2 to 13 pieces depending on size.
- Best for 1-3 people
- Available in 6 colors
- Fry pan 10.5” x 19 cm
- Saucepan 3 QT x 21 cm
- Sauté pan 3.5 QT x 24 cm
- Dutch oven 4.5 QT x 24 cm
Home Chef Set
- Best for 2-4 people
- Available in 6 colors
- Fry pan 12.5” x 26 cm
- Saucepan 4 QT x 24 cm
- Sauté pan 4.5 QT x 27 cm
- Dutch oven 6 QT 30 cm
- Ceramic nonstick coating from Germany, PFOA-free
- Aluminum core with stainless steel base
- Magnetized for induction cooktops
- Nesting lids and detachable Beechwood handle
- Free of lead, cadmium, toxic metals
- Easy food release and cleanup
- Quick and even heat distribution
- Versatile on all stovetops
- Compact storage
- High safety standards
- Hand wash recommended
- Not broiler safe
- Lower oven max temp (425-450°F)
The sets can be purchased as a bundle or as individual “Singles” so customers can customize their collection.
Fry Pans (Singles)
Material: Aluminum core, ceramic nonstick, stainless steel base
Diameters: 10.5”, 12.5”
Depth: 2 inches Weight: 2 lbs, 2.8 lbs
Caraway’s fry pans are their most popular single item purchased for eggs, pancakes, sautéing veggies etc. The curved sides support easy tossing and flipping. Durable construction allows these pans to be frequently used on all stovetops without warping. The modern tapered handle stays cool while cooking. Even heating means no more hot spots when frying. For the size, they are lightweight but still sturdy. The nonstick makes cooking and cleaning fast and frustration-free. An excellent all-purpose pan earning rave reviews.
Sauce Pans (Singles)
Material: Aluminum, ceramic nonstick, stainless steel
Sizes: 3 QT, 4 QT Weight: 2.2 lbs, 2.7 lbs
This slim saucepan is designed for simmering sauces, boiling pasta, making oatmeal, and reheating leftovers. The ergonomic handle offers a secure grip even while pouring. The ceramic-coated interior prevents sticking and staining for consistently smooth cooking. The aluminum heats rapidly while the steel base is compatible with induction cooktops. Caraway’s lids are stored together on built-in magnets for organization. An easy-to-use pan ideal for everyday cooking tasks.
Oval Dutch Oven
Material: Cast iron, ceramic nonstick, stainless steel
Size: 6 QT
Weight: 9 lbs
This large oval pot works well for cooking stews, braising meats, soups, chilli, baking bread and more. Its unique shape accommodates whole chickens, roasts, or other large cuts of meat. Pour spouts on each side to allow for mess-free draining. The heavy-duty enameled cast iron provides even heat distribution whether on the stovetop or in the oven. Compatible with all ranges including induction. The smooth nonstick interior simplifies cleanup after cooking. Excellent for preparing big-batch meals thanks to its versatility and roomy oval design.
- Sheet pans – Available in full-size, half-size, or quarter-size for flexible baking
- Mitt+ magnet oven mitt and pot holder
- Fry pan splatter screen – Minimizes hot oil splatter
- Mixing bowls – Stainless steel nesting bowls in 3 sizes
Caraway accessories enhance the usability of their core pots and pans. Customers recommend the griddle splatter screen for mess-free frying. The oval Mitt+ provides help getting items in and out of the oven. Their mixing bowls are neatly stored together. Each item showcases Caraway’s signature modern style.
Key Takeaways: Caraway’s sets allow you to cook entire meals with matching convenience while their Singles retain all the same quality for building customized cookware. Their fry pans earn outstanding reviews as affordable all-purpose options. The oval Dutch oven accommodates large roasts thanks to its unique shape. Accessories like mixing bowls demonstrate their attention to kitchen design details.
How Caraway Compares to Other Brands
Caraway cookware competes in a crowded market of brands like All-Clad, Le Creuset, GreenPan, and others. Here is an insight into how Caraway pans stack up against the competition.
|Affordable, easy-release coating, thermal healthy ceramic
|Non-toxic eco-friendly materials, sleek design, nesting lids, and handles stay cool
|Enameled cast iron
|Very durable, made in the USA, even heat distribution
|Superior heat retention, colourful exterior, large handle
|Lots of colours, inexpensive basics
|Dishwasher safe, sturdy, good for searing
|Lots of colors, inexpensive basics
- Caraway focuses solely on nonstick cookware rather than offering many materials
- Their price point hits an appealing middle ground – cheaper than the leading luxury brands but higher quality than entry-budget pans
- Signature design features like angled walls, lids that store together, and ergonomic handles distinguish Caraway visually
- Use of ceramic nonstick instead of traditional Teflon-based coatings
- Emphasis on sustainability and non-toxic manufacturing
- Many brands offer ceramic nonstick now along with other options like stainless steel or hard anodized aluminum. But Caraway uses ceramic exclusively.
- Caraway, GreenPan and Cuisinart have more affordable price points than All-Clad and Le Creuset targeting home cooks rather than gourmet chefs.
- Common conveniences across brands: stainless steel bases for induction, oven-safe handles, drip-free pouring, scratch-resistant exterior
In summary, Caraway fills the gap between elite luxury cookware and basic budget pans. Their uniquely minimalist style and focus on healthy nonstick suit modern tastes and align them most closely with GreenPan. Overall, Caraway earns its spot among competitors as a quality nontoxic ceramic cookware line.
Care and Use Tips
Caring properly for Caraway cookware ensures many years of high performance. Below are key use and care guidelines.
- Hand wash before first use
- Dry thoroughly on the stove over low heat
- Safe for gas, electric, induction ranges
- Low-to-medium heat ideal
- Butter, oil or other fat required
- Wooden or silicone utensils recommended
Oven & Broiler Use:
- Oven safe to 425°F, 450°F for enamelled cast iron
- Handles may get hot in the oven
- Avoid using under-broiler
- Hand wash only with a non-abrasive brush
- Barkeepers Friend cleanser removes stuck residue
- No bleaches, or abrasives that could damage the coating
- Nesting design for compact storage
- Avoid stacking items inside each other
- Lay flat or hang cookware to prevent warping
- No metal utensils or abrasive scouring pads
- Do not leave empty cookware over hot burners
- Allow pans to fully cool before washing or storing
- Always hand wash – NOT dishwasher safe
Following this guidance will keep Caraway pots and pans looking like new for many years. The nonstick demands gentle care but rewards owners with scratch-free cooking surfaces. Plus built-in organization features like magnetic lid racks simplify putting these beautiful pans away.
Is Caraway Cookware Worth the Money?
Caraway lands around the mid-price point compared to competitors. Their fry pans cost approximately $95-115 each. Sets range from $395 up to $545. So they demand a significant investment outside of impulse purchase territory.
But 90% of customers rate them as an excellent value for the money. Users tout them as affordable compared to leading ceramic cookware brands that can run over $600 per set.
Here is a breakdown of what makes Caraway worth the higher price tag:
- Nonstick longevity – lasts over 3 years with proper care
- Heats evenly and feels heavy-duty
- Smooth food release for easy cooking experiences
- Quality rivals much pricier brands
- Eco-friendly manufacturing and materials
- Gorgeous minimalist design looks great on shelves
- Nesting cookware frees up cabinet clutter
- Cannot be washed in the dishwasher
- Handwashing porcelain enamel takes practice
- Replacing individual pans gets pricey
For shoppers deciding if Caraway is worth investing in, the consensus agrees on long-term value over cheaper sets. Users trust them for daily use thanks to durable materials and stellar performance.
While the cost exceeds budget options on the market, Caraway makes up for it in cooking quality, visual appeal, and commitment to sustainability. For cooks who love nonstick convenience but avoid traditional “Teflon” brands, Caraway presents an outstanding ceramic alternative.
Recommendations for Different Home Cooks
Caraway cookware works well for many home cooks but performs best for certain users.
- Beginner cooks – Easy to use and maintain
- Home cooks short on storage space
- People with induction cooktops
- Anyone wanting convenient healthy nonstick
- Cooks making smaller meals 1-4 people
- Anyone seeking durable and beautiful pots & pans
Not Ideal For:
- Commercial kitchen use
- Searing meats at very high temps
- Oven roasting over 400°F
- Dishwasher convenience
- Preparing meals for large gatherings
- Users wanting ultimate heat retention
Best Choice For:
- Newlyweds & first apartments – Caraway nesting design helps maximize storage in small kitchens. The aesthetic looks sleek in trendy spaces. Sets work well for cooking for two.
- College Students – Cost-effective for furnishing a first kitchen. Easy cleanup is a major perk in a hectic student lifestyle. Sets adequately equipped to make all kinds of meals independently.
- Small Families – Offered incoordination solution for cooking quick weekday meals. The broad set capability allows for preparing well-rounded family meals. A budget-friendly way to upgrade cookware.
Alternatives to Consider:
- Families cooking large batches regularly may want more capacity than Caraway pots offer. Brands like Le Creuset or Staub have a wider range of casserole sizes.
- Home cooks needing to sear the meat over very high heat should choose stainless steel or cast iron instead of ceramic.
- While Caraway is induction capable, other stainless steel brands like All-Clad heat even more evenly on induction ranges.
The Bottom Line—Who Should Buy:
Busy young professionals, newly independent cooks, and small families represent Caraway’s sweet spot of customers. Their convenience and design cater towards modern tastes and compact living spaces. For typical home cooking for 1-4 people, Caraway delivers outstanding quality and performance for the money. Their nontoxic mission also attracts eco-minded millennial shoppers. For cooks wanting effortless meals, few pans compare to Caraway’s easy manoeuvrability.
Top Perks Summarized
- Nonstick for effortless cooking
- No more scrubbing stubborn pans
- Nesting cookware simplifies organization
Quality & Performance
- Commercial-grade materials used
- Durable to last years
- Even heat distribution
- The sleek and minimalist look
- Easy to coordinate sets
- Small kitchen friendly
- Eco-friendly manufacturing
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Recycled aluminium
- Mid-range price point
- High owner satisfaction
- Versatile piece-by-piece purchasing
Caraway cookware resonates with home cooks who want beautiful, high-performing nonstick pans conveniently delivered to their doors. For anyone seeking healthy ceramic pots and pans boosted by smart design, Caraway should top their list.